Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ecuador to Peru: Part 2 - Gun to My Head

The bus... yes this was your average bus, with average seats. It was a great upgrade from the actual chicken buses that I was used to in Central America! You know it was nice to have a small child on the bus that spoke better spanish than me, and when talking to me he spoke a million miles an hour! Yes, that is good for the self-esteem! I love that I speak like a 2 year old! (Katy, Jenn, Becky, Kirsten...all you mom´s out there... your children could probably speak better spanish than me!). Anyway, my little amigo and I had a great time chatting for about 5 minutes, and then I wanted to read. I can only take so much when I have to concentrate really hard on what he´s saying....slow down and I´ll talk to you more, but he didn´t understand that concept.

I decided to just read, but before that I jumpped out of the bus and saw this man pushing a yogurt machine through the park. Yes, a frozen yogurt machine! I was so excited that I could hardly breathe. I didn´t know what kind of icecream it was going to be, but I honestly didn´t care. I wanted something cold and yummy in my tummy! So I went up to him and it was coco y chicle. Gum and coco icecream, sounds interesting. I´ll take two! No I didn´t have them both, but it was tempting! I really wanted to steal Chris´because it was that good. I didn´t think that I could find icecream that I loved as much at Baskin Robin´s Choc & Peanut Butter Icecream, but this is a close second favorite. I hope I enjoyed it because I surely will never have that soft serve deliciousness ever again! (I am an icecream conosour, so you better believe that I know good icecream! I mean I did work for an frozen yogurt shop throughout all high school!)

Anyway, about 15 minutes after the bus was headed out again to our final destination of the day, Zumba. (Which if you read part 1 you know why we only made it 7 hours instead of 10!) I was sitting on the bus reading, decided that was going to pass the next few hours (the book I was reading was really good, so I was quite excited about it anyway), next thing I know I have a gun to my head. Yes, I was ignoring the small child so I could read, he disappeared and returned with a gun. At first I didn´t know if it was real or not. It was black and next to my head, so I could only see with my periferial vision. Next thing I hear him say is ¨bang¨ (but in spanish of course). Then I heard a click! Great...so this kid is violent, has a gun, and just pointed it at my head and pulled the trigger. Good thing it was PLASTIC! But then again, he decided to show me how it worked after I started to give him attention again. Yep, he showed me where the plastic pellet bullets go, and continued to tell me that he knows how to take apart guns, and that he knows how to load them too. So...who is this kids mom? Seriously, plastic guns are cool with cops and robbers, and cowboys and indians, but when it comes to actually shotting someone ganster style for fun, I think that I have to draw the line there! Come on already - seriously??? So I could have died this day for the plastic gun!

....

Landed in Zumba, and it was about your most basic town. Actually I´m not even sure what they eat here. We had some ¨typical¨food, but other than that there were no snacks or anything for the next 12 to 15 hour day in the bus, taxi, and tricycle...so I don´t know what I´m going to do! We didn´t know what to eat for breakfast either, they didn´t really have anything, couldn´t even find a basic banana! Hmmm...

Anyway, apart from the room smelling like poop (I think that the drains were backed up or something gross), there was TV and we were able to watch the US win it´s World Cup game! That was exciting. However, I slept through most it because I was exhausted! I woke up, thanks to Chris, for the final goal! Go USA!!

Until tomorrow.... I am not excited about an early morning and a cold shower!

No comments: