May 17th is going to come REALLY REALLY fast!
For those that don't know, I was signed up for a half marathon with Whiz Kids tutoring to run 13.1 miles for my student - Ashley Serrano. I love the girl. We've been together for 4+ years, and I figured it's about time I invest a few miles in her future! :) So... here we go.
Yesterday was the beginning of ENJOYING running.
For those that now me well, my philosophy on running has always been - "I only run when being chased, playing ultimate frisbee, or soccer." That's it. Running in my book was worthless, and dumb. I have tried to enjoy running SOOO many times, but do I like it? NOPE! Still didn't....(That is my feeble attempt to like running with the change of words - I would have use "don"t" in the past.) I think I've only enjoyed running a few times in my life, and that was when I was training for triathlons...and that wasn't even that much "fun." I just didn't want to die - so that was good motivation!
To get to the point... yesterday was my first day of actual training. Sure, I train and work out pretty much everyday anyway, but yesterday I mentally prepared myself to run 5 miles. I did it! Believe you me, I actually could have run 10! After about 8 hours of mentally preparing myself for a run, going over how I could make it, my breathing, and of course picking up a good mix of music... I went for a run. I actually felt great, and even ran some hills... What!?! Yep... so I have a little bit of encouragement that I actually will make the 13 miles here in 5 weeks. If I can run 5 now without too much of a problem, then I can do 13 in 5 weeks.
I did get a few strange looks leaving my office in running gear, so maybe I should run later when no one is around. Otherwise... no funny stories. It's just amazing that I actually ENJOYED it!?!?!
Who knew!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment