Thursday, October 22, 2009

INDIANA JONES: THE ADVENTURE OF EL VOLCAN ZUNIL & LAS FUENTES GEORGINAS

You would think that living a mile high above the ocean I would have been prepared for a volcano that was only 12k high. Heck, I’ve climbed mountains higher than that! I suppose being dehydrated from sitting in Las Fuentes Georginas (hot springs) at 8500 ft the night before with a diet of beans and eggs might have something to do with it… nah!!
The morning of the hike up Volcan Zunil I felt like death. I think a small alien was growing in my estomago (stomach)… not until I drank nearly 1 ltr of water did I feel better. There went half of my day’s water! I hope I don’t need any more to climb this beast! The volcano was dressed with a jungle of plants, bugs, snakes, and other fun mysterious things! I never have wanted a machete more than during that hike... After climbing up and over, and under and through different looking plants, and bamboo trees, and what looked like a perfect setting for the Blare Witch Project I was ready to start hacking a way!! There were times that I was so soaked from the dew on the plants that I thought I might have actually gone swimming. I was really confused. Ah, the adventure!
Entonces, 4.5 hours later we made it to the top to find fog… Yep. All that work for no view. I suppose I was glad there were a few stops along the way that allowed us to peek out to see the view of Guatemala, and also the other volcanos in the area – but it was quite disappointing how fast the clouds moved in! We actually got quite nervous that the black storm clouds were going to rain on our nice dry and clear trail – ha! Yeah right it was already muddy, the last thing we needed was to have more water running through the little trail that existed!
Shout out to DAD for making me learn how to navigate through mountains without a trail, and still find the way home! I think that you taught me more than any survival class could have. I do have one question thought – which of these fungi could I have consumed if it became a dire situation??

Well… until the next adventure… stay tuned.

No comments: