You know – mi familia in Xela will never be my family! Dad and Mom are irreplacable! Plus, these people really feel more like a cousin or a brother and sister in another country. They are my same age with a one and half year old (David), so really they are just cool people that are helping me with my spanish! I try to speak to them about all the new stuff that I learn, but I butcher it everytime. At least they are patient with me, and help me figure it out. I’m pretty sure that I’ll never get POR or PARA in the correct context! I’ll try to get a family photo of them before I leave here so you can see who they are… you know the sad thing is that Alejandra (Sadie) is the wife, and I can never remember her husbands name. I think it starts with an E! I suppose I should figure that out sooner than later, especially if I want to write a thank you note for allowing me to stay at their house.
Oh a few things about the house. You can see a picture of that here, but you should know that it’s just the upstairs. It’s just slightly bigger than my old apartment off 13th Ave. It may not even be much bigger actually, but nonetheless you have an idea of size. You walk into the family room where they have some funny couches (I’ll try to get a photo of them soon), and a rocking chair – but not your typical rocking chair just one that sits in the corner holding stuff. To the direct right off the family room, you find their bedroom (where they spend most of their time). Next to that is a small kitchen complete with a stove about 1/3 the size of the average stove, a microwave (yes amazing), a fridge the size of my old one in my apartment (and believe it or not, it’s actually nicer than my old fridge! HA!), a small sink and a few cupboards. Nothing too fancy, and it’s pretty small. They have a bathroom just off the family room, and it’s your average bathroom. No tub, just a shower with very little warm water. A heating plate to try and warm the water. If you turn the water on too high, it gets cooooold, and when I say cold I mean that I thought I was going to have a heart attack from shock… So you can try to find warm water if you’re lucky! Oiff the back of the family room there is a dining room where we always eat, so we have family dinners which is pretty cool, and a great time to practice my spanish! I suppose that I get confused and play charades with them often at dinner to figure things out! I bet they go to bed and laugh at my lack of spanish skills! Oh well, as long as I can provide some entertainment!
My room… hmm. The window, or lack there of. I suppose it would be a lie to say that I don’t have a window, but it only goes to the hall closet, so really it’s useless. Not even sure why it’s there!? If you can figure out why a room would have a window into a hall closet, I would greatly appreciate the explanation because I’m quite confused. No air circulation + humidity = one really interesting way to sleep. They ask to keep the door closed because of their son, David, so you can imagine how HOT it is! I hope that one day I don’t suffocate! My room is more like a large walk in closet with a bed, desk and dresser. I do have a radio in my room that gets some good spanish stations, so that’s good!! I suppose it’s not a bad set up, but the lack of air flow does kind of put a damper on feeling sane in my room! I guess that’s good to keep me from spending time just sitting in my room staring at the wall, THAT may be a crazy person! HAHA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment